[sugar] Sugar\Windows won't ship

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Sat Apr 26 15:46:33 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:27:21PM -0400, dthornburg at aol.com wrote:
> As for Windows, the problem is that you can't scale large
> installations without going bankrupt with the annual fees that
> Microsoft charges.? This works out to about $100 per computer per year
> in many US schools, and is one of the reasons that Brazil moved to
> Linux.

As I have posted before, I am not distressed by the inclusion of Windows
on the XO laptop, perhaps in a dual-boot configuration or whatever. What
would distress me is if Windows was not sold as an option. If laptops
could only be purchased with Windows, raising the price by the Microsoft
tax, that would be a cause for complaint.

I don't think OLPC intends to go that way. Windows is about more choice,
not less, right?