An olpcfs experience report

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Apr 24 22:05:12 EDT 2008

Over the last few weeks, I've spent a fair bit of time producing several
essay drafts and transcriptions of IRC conversations. Something you may
not have known is that I did so on top of olpcfs [1,2]. Yesterday, 1cc
experienced a power failure which briefly took down my working machine.
Today, with some trepidation, I remounted my olpcfs and was pleased to
discover that my data were intact.

While I cannot claim to have stressed olpcfs in any serious fashion, I
am happy to report that it is suitable for capturing versions of simple
plain-text essays and that it maintained its data integrity through at
least one hard power failure. On the basis of this experience, I
encourage others to download it, follow the instructions, and give it a
whirl:

  git clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/cscott/olpcfs1
  cat olpcfs1/README

Michael

[1]: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpcfs
[2]: http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/cscott/olpcfs1