Synchronizing xs-0.3 and xo-??? --- backups

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Thu Apr 24 05:23:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
>  Superb - thanks for the info! some questions below...
>
>  2008/4/23 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net>:
>
> >  We have in ~/.sugar/default/datastore/store all the files that contain
>  >  the "opaque" data of every entry, named by an uuid that identifies the
>  >  entry.
>
>  So this is the actual data store
>
>   - Does it also have the metadata?

metadata is stored inside one of the b-tree files in the xapian index,
I think in the record table.

>   - When a file changes or is renamed, the UUID remains the same?

Yes.

>   - Do files get moved/renamed under any condition?

No.

>   - Can we only backup this, and ignore the preview and index? IOWs
>  will Journal or Sugar know how to recreate preview and index?

No, we need the metadata and preview. The metadata is better to be
extracted from the xapian index to a format easy to read such as json.

(we have already discussed this in IRC, but thought that it would be
good to repeat it in the mailing list)

Regards,

Tomeu