Synchronizing xs-0.3 and xo-??? --- backups

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue Apr 22 14:52:20 EDT 2008

2008/4/22 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Ivan Krstić
>  <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  >  My solution is the simplest design I could create that allows both
>  > emergency restore (laptop FS has been trashed, get everything back) and
>  > individual file restore and sharing via a web interface running on the XS,
>
>  Indeed, reading bug 4200 the purpose of the protocol becomes clearer.
>  What I don't understand completely is the drive behind retrieving the
>  files via a web interface. I'd think that the main requirement is that
>  the Journal can talk to it in a simple enough fashion -- perhaps it
>  was a shortcut to avoid complex work on the Journal?

Yes, having the journal activity browsing its own backup as well as
the public sections of the other children could be quite a bit of
work. A web app that allowed clicking on a link and having that entry
installed in the journal seemed much better in the short-medium term.
And here is where Robson's application appears in the game:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/olpc/app.html?csaid=KhwGAARfXjYKOzMDHgpYX28GNx5eQgkFBnlRaUpeRghTVnNWOUo%3D%0A

Worth taking in account as this requirement comes from one of the oldest pilots.

Thanks,

Tomeu