[Community-news] on Sugar

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 01:35:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:24 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Nicholas Negroponte <nn at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>  >
>  > >
>  >  >  At 01:29 PM 4/23/2008, you wrote:
>  >  >  You have been saying variations of this for a while now, but:
>  >  >   * OLPC has not hired any Windows developers
>  >  >   * OLPC has not adjusted its timeline to allow for time necessary for
>  >  >  such a port.
>  >  >
>  >  >  I am serious and we have to outsource that part of it.
>
>  Recently OLPC made it clear that they don't support each activities
>  except very few number of them including journal, and community is
>  responsible of supporting activities.  (I wouldn't argue about that)
>  So I am assuming the policy would apply to effort porting activities to windows.
>  But this should make us much slower...

It works for me. I don't mind how long it takes Microsoft to do the
port, and I will cheer any developers who refuse to port their own
software to Windows. I don't mind if they run in CygWin or CoLinux
(and I am grateful to their developers for letting Linux software be
Linux software), but I wouldn't wish the Windows APIs on anybody.

>  Or will OLPC change their mind and to take responsibility to port and
>  support them (on windows at least)?

I certainly hope not. People who sell their souls should at least take
the trouble to get paid.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/