Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Y.Sonoda sonoda at laptop-jp.org
Wed Apr 23 01:24:21 EDT 2008

Hi all!

This is Spiky, Japanese volunteer.

Reading through whole the discussion on Suger v.s. Windows,
(or whatever)
what I'm so afraid of is there's no discussion from the aspect of
the very root principle of OLPC, that is,
"Learning learning" or constructionism theory with which OLPC is
fundamentally going to help children to give them considerable
opportunities to enforce their own capability of learning and thinking.

I believe the all activities are firmly related with this one single
point of view and all issues or conflict, if exists, should be
carefully examined along with this.

With respect to Windows on XO, I think it is clear what is truth and
what is rumor, what did Mr.Negroponte meant with his words in any
publicity.

I believe Sugar was, is, and will be the greatest effort along with
OLPC principles, and constructionism point of view,
Etoys and other current activities on Sugar play very important
roles on it. This idea soon drives the simple conclusion that
Windows itself doesn't have to do with our activities.
It is just a box without the educational theory.

(Even if there could be the chance that some countries buy
windows version XO, it is still our victory, because they chose
XO platform for children's education, XO itself is also designed
with enormous amount of ideas based on OLPC principles.,
as Wall Street Journal article wrote as the words of Mr.
Negroponte last year.)

If something odd or weird, OLPC principles should be revisited
(especially, Learning learning and constructionism)
and then we all can go right on the main track.
And we can contribute our enormous power aggregating every
each piece of volunteers all over the world.

I still believe OLPC's principles are noble,
and its main track is consistent in its beginning.

Thanks.
Spiky