Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Apr 22 22:40:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:44:43AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> The big problem is that most people see this as a Linux+Sugar vs.
> Windows decision.

Presently, I'm not very concerned by the role that Windows plays in
OLPC's aims -- there's plenty of stuff to learn from and through Windows
systems. We can do much better on top of Linux but there exist people
who can make a credible showing on Windows too.

The questions that I am actually wrestling with include:

  Can I continue to work with Nicholas?

  Can I reasonably promote working with him to my friends?

  Does he have a credible analysis of the challenges facing us?

  Does he stand for goals and principles compatible with mine?

  Can his leadership supply the resources that I believe are necessary
  to fulfill these goals, to uphold these principles, and to overcome
  these challenges?

  (for example, does his leadership help to develop and retain
  intangibles like platform expertise and willingness to volunteer or
  does it squander them?)

For me, technology is negotiable. Long-term quality education is not.
Teamwork and community are not. Effective leadership is not. Nicholas'
comments seem to me to curtail these possibilities but we are both
fallible -- I may have misunderstood him. Time will bring clarity soon
enough for me.

Michael