Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Apr 22 21:19:33 EDT 2008

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos wrote:
> Mitch Bradley wrote:
>> No, I'm saying that giving laptops to all the world's children is a
>> Good Thing,
>> and worthy of being called an "education project", even if they don't
>> have the
>> world's friendliest UI or free software.  And the reason for that is
>> because
>> the web is so immensely valuable.
>>
>> The laptops are even more wonderful with a child-friendly UI, loads
>> of fun
>> activities, and a non-proprietary software stack.  But in the steady
>> state, the
>> web is the high-order bit, sufficient to qualify as education in and
>> of itself.
>>
> Mitch, I completely disagree with you on this. Browsing the web is
> useful but doing so without being able to seamlessly communicate with
> people that are in your "proximity" is a poor goal to reach. We should
> be thinking bigger than just giving kids a windows box and ask them to
> sign up to Facebook so that they can communicate with their friends.

Uh, yeah, and that is why I have been working days, nights, and weekends
for the past 20 months trying to make the XO great.

I'm not saying that we should forget about all this other great stuff,
I'm just disagreeing with the premise that laptops for children are
worthless without all the embellishments.