Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Tue Apr 22 21:07:48 EDT 2008

Mitch Bradley wrote:
> No, I'm saying that giving laptops to all the world's children is a Good
> Thing,
> and worthy of being called an "education project", even if they don't
> have the
> world's friendliest UI or free software.  And the reason for that is because
> the web is so immensely valuable.
>
> The laptops are even more wonderful with a child-friendly UI, loads of fun
> activities, and a non-proprietary software stack.  But in the steady
> state, the
> web is the high-order bit, sufficient to qualify as education in and of
> itself.

Mitch, I completely disagree with you on this. Browsing the web is
useful but doing so without being able to seamlessly communicate with
people that are in your "proximity" is a poor goal to reach. We should
be thinking bigger than just giving kids a windows box and ask them to
sign up to Facebook so that they can communicate with their friends.

Pol

--
Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos
Graduate student