Internet wide chat

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 18:27:47 EDT 2008

Ar 22/04/2008 am 09:59, ysgrifennodd Guillaume Desmottes:
> Le lundi 21 avril 2008 à 11:54 -0400, Chris Ball a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> >    >  - They asked if video chat is possible.  I recall someone was
> >    > working on it months ago.  What is the current status?
> >
> > We need two things:  a codec that we can encode and decode in real-time
> > (the demo from 2006 used h.263) and a transport layer -- I think we have
> > a UDP transport for Salut, but not for Gabble, so video chat would be on
> > the local mesh only.
> >

> No. Gabble already implements Jingle audio/video (as gtalk). Transport
> is done using UDP-ICE. Last year I wrote a simple (and ugly :) video
> chat activity who was using this.

I think it's also worth noting that we have a Telepathy connection manager
that implements SIP, which might be nice for interoperability.

> > It would be worth someone checking out the Theora team's latest
> > optimizations, which might make Theora solve the codec problem.
>
> Right. As said we need a good free encoder as H263 has legal issues.
>
> So, if we want to have full audio/video support on XO's we have to:
> a) Solve this legal codec issue and make farsight work with the chosen
> free codec
> b) Implement audio/video in Salut

I think link-local voice/video is not as useful as non-link-local, unless you
have a large mesh.

--
Dafydd