Translation refresh

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 05:29:57 EDT 2008

2008/4/21 Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org>:
> I guess I'd like to err on the side that people believe by default that 'no
> activities are supported'. That way anything that works is a plus!
>
> In reality there are going to be some important things that we want to
> ensure are really working with every major build... so we will need to do
> some testing with real activities.
>
> Collaboration is really important to any release... so we need to include
> some activities that collaborate as part of formal testing. Similarly,
> Journal is much more than just an activity... so that will have to be part
> of systematic testing.
>
> Browse has to work as it is our connection to the outside world and to our
> local or school library. So that will have be part of any good test plan.
>
> You get the idea...
>
> Kim

Not entirely For example, I can't document a process described in that
manner. I certainly understand that we have to pick a set of core
activities that OLPC QAs, and that the rest is up to the developers or
a distribution that they submit their code to. But that means creating
and publishing a list, and also creating and publishing a test plan.
Among other things, every other activity developer has to know how to
test collaboration and Journal interactions properly.

>  On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net>
> wrote:
> > 2008/4/20 Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org>:
> >
> > > Bernie,
> > > I'd like to make two points regarding your notes:
> > >
> > > 1 - OLPC cannot be responsible for activities. So it is really much
> better
> > > that the activities are now separate from the base code to help get this
> > > point across to the country. As a 'sales' type person, you need to
> convey
> > > that activities are built, tested, translated by the community. OLPC
> will
> > > not be qualifying or certifying them. The country needs to reserve time
> and
> > > resources in its own schedule to help ensure testing and translation of
> the
> > > activities that they want. And they can do this, because the activities
> are
> > > not tied to our release schedule. If we can separate translations in a
> > > similar fashion that seems like a good way to go.
> >
> > So no activities at all are supported by OLPC? (the journal is
> > technically an activity today, but is set to be merged into the shell
> > when time permits).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tomeu

Edward Cherlin