Translation refresh (Was: freezing DCON for insecure boot)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:24:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I don't think it makes sense to make seperate releases _only_ for
translations. I am currently working on a language-pack builder for
deployers and testers, which would  generate language packs for
different releases (eg: Update-1, or Joyride), etc. This should
separate the release process substantially from the translations, and
deployers can add enhanced language packs for the deployed systems as
the translations evolve.

However, to make this work we also need to follow some kind of
branching policy wrt the releases (eg: once Update-1 is released,
bugfixes targetted for subsequent minor releases for Update-1 should
be committed to the Update-1 branch only, while development for
Update-2 should continue in the devel branch). This has to be done for
_all_ activities (and of course, the components of Sugar as well).
Extremely new activities can be treated as exceptions, but the rule of
thumb should be - once you are in an activity pack (in other words,
you are being used in the real world somewhere) - you follow the
branching policy.
This is roughly the policy followed by GNOME, and I have seen this
work quite nicely for the past few years.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:39 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:25 -0300, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>
>  > Can you be more precise about the dates involved and the precise
>  > pieces which need better Italian support?  Activity translation
>  > improvements don't need to wait for Update.2.  If it's just
>  > translation changes to the base system, we could definitely consider
>  > making an Update.1.1 (8.1.1) release for this.
>

>  This would be a great idea.  Yes, Italian is an easy language
>  to support for us, so it's just strings.  Update.1 had an
>  interestingly long string freeze an I guess Italian is not the
>  only translation that suffered by it.
>
>  Torello was also asking some time ago on the #sugar channel why
>  his changes in Pootle did not yet show up in git master.  I don't
>  know if this was answered already.  I also think some TamTam
>  strings were missing due to musical jargon, but this is hardly
>  a showstopper.  I'll let Torello be more specific.
>
>  Giulia and Torello, reading us on cc, may have an approximate
>  idea of the dates involved.
>
>  Scott (or Kim), do you have an idea how long it could take to roll
>  this Update.1.1 once we have everything in place?  I'm not asking
>  for promises, just for a genuine estimate of how long the procedure
>  could take in practice.
>
>  --
>   \___/
>   |___|  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/