Do we ever want to bind more than 8 multicast MAC addresses?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Apr 18 10:28:46 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:09 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> Ashish comments on #6869: Firmware release - 5.110.22.p9 as follows:
>
>  Currently firmware 5.110.22.p8/9 does not support more than 8 multicast
>  mac addresses. Is there a possibility that any given point of time there
>  are more than 8 multicast address required?
>
> Is this going to be a problem for anyone?

Theoretically we go into ALLMULTI mode (and filter on the host) when we
exceed the size of the multicast list that the device can handle. There
shouldn't be a hard limit on the number of multicast groups that
userspace can join; it just gets less efficient.

However, we believe that size to be 32 (MRVDRV_MAX_MULTICAST_LIST_SIZE
in defs.h).

--
dwmw2