Do we ever want to bind more than 8 multicast MAC addresses?

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Fri Apr 18 08:46:50 EDT 2008

An increase is scheduled to be implemented in firmware version 22.p11 or
later depending on other priorities.
But we'll have to check the impact of reducing firmware's internal buffers
(in throughput, for instance).

Current firmware releases:
- 22p1 is the update-1.703 built-in fw
- 22p6 is in joyride 1858+
- 22p8/22p9 is under tests by OLPC
- 22p10 is under tests by Marvell

The immediate need in this front is having an approved driver change to
implement the multicast filter.

A bit of history on that issue:
To avoid that an XO wakes up at every received multicast frame, a filter was
implemented. This filter was introduced in the firmware 22p8 and it needs
the driver to inform the multicast addresses to listen to. (details on
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6818)