purpose of ticket

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Apr 17 08:35:46 EDT 2008

Recently there was a post to this list which I read as saying "if
you see internal-to-XO situation XYZ, write a ticket and enclose
log".  [I leapt to the assumption that XYZ "ought not to occur".]

Well, I saw situation XYZ, and wrote a ticket.  But that ticket has
been closed.  The impression I was left with was "we already know
that external-to-XO situation UVW can cause the internal-to-XO XYZ".

It now appears to me that the reason for asking XYZ to be logged was
to "triage" situation XYZ - in case as-yet-unknown causes led to it.

I wish that when the only ticket_mechanism result is "information
gathering" (e.g., from logs), another _resolution_ than 'invalid'
were used for closing such a submitted ticket.

mikus