Activity Launch Notification

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Tue Apr 15 14:43:08 EDT 2008

Hi Eben,

Thanks for the comment and for covering all the bases.

I'm not sure what zoom level means or what the frame will look like in
this case. Regardless, if the kids can still launch other activities you
may want to check this design to ensure it covers the basic challenge
raised by Carol in the SouthBronx class. That is, does it prevent kids
from clicking on lots of things because they run out of patience while
waiting for the first to load then end up with too many activities
running and the whole system slows to a crawl?

My impression is that it will help a lot. Still, it does sound like a
good candidate for a trial with a few real kids. If you can mock it up,
maybe Carol can take it back to the class for a sanity check.

Its certainly better than the blinking icon so even without a trial you
should probably just do it. Seems like a sure win unless there is some
other negative side effect (greater memory or disk usage, launch time
much longer, harder to code new activities, other?).

My 2 cents. Thanks for sharing the design idea on the list.

BTW I am starting to ask users if they like the "hot corners" frame
popup thingy. Let me know if you are open to feedback on that and if you
have any alternative design proposals to share or specific questions you
want answered.

Thanks,

Greg S