Activity Launch Notification

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:34:46 EDT 2008

>  What if the activity "hangs"?
>
>  I have seen that several times with Xaos fractal builder activity and
>  possibly others. I remember one case in Nepal where it took 20 minutes
>  to launch eToys.
>
>  I think the UI suggestion is great and will help prevent kids from
>  clicking on many activities while they wait for the first to launch.
>  Just want to cover the case where the first one takes a very long time
>  or doesn't launch at all. We need a way to abort (kill -9?) or go on
>  with other work if the activity is not coming up.

Well, there are two parts to this problem.

First, this launching screen will take the place of the activity zoom
level for the launching activity, before the activity window itself
appears. The Frame will remain available, allowing the kids to switch
away from the launch, in order to continue working in another
activity, launch additional activities, or browse the other zoom
levels.  As such, they'll never be "locked in".

Second, there's the issue of "force stopping" activities.  I brought
this up as something I'd like to support a while back, but found that
it is complicated by the manner in which activities are launched,
since we don't necessarily know the process ID it's running under
during launch (or something like that...Marco can clarify).  In any
case, if we can do it, we should, offering a "Stop" button in the
palette for the launching activity.  If we can't, it's still not a
showstopper, since it's possible to switch away, and the launch will
timeout eventually, preventing the pulsing icon from forever haunting
the Frame.

- Eben