How to use Salut?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 14:32:12 EDT 2008

Hi James

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM, James Simmons
<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
>  Thanks for the information on ejabberd.  I may try that this weekend.  I am
> still puzzled by salut, though.  I am using sugar-jhbuild on openSUSE 10.2
> and everything seemed to compile OK, but running two instances of Sugar does
> not seem to support sharing when the Collabora server is down.  They don't
> see each other in the Neighborhood view.  So it looks like Salut isn't doing
> its job.

Salut uses avahi, so you can see what salut sees if you run
"avahi-discover" (on Ubuntu, you need package avahi-discover
installed). (Or you can use avahi-browse for a text-mode equivalent -
I think both are available on the XO.)

Running avahi-discover on my laptop while I have a jhbuild instance
running, shows "iChat Presence" > "d14a3ed4 at vaio" which is the salut
instance on my laptop. Clicking on that entry shows the properties of
the salut buddym including "TXT nick ="

If you share an activity, you will see it appear in avahi-discover as
"_olpc-activity1._udp" and also appear in "_clique._udp".

If you are not seeing any of this on the openSUSE machine, then
perhaps the setup instructions for that distro are missing some
dependency or something. Let us know.

>  I know you have a lot on your plate, but information on diagnosing Salut
> problems would be a good addition to the Wiki.

I'll add the above avahi stuff to the [[Telepathy Salut]] page and/or
[[Telepathy debugging]]. Our Salut documentation is particularly
sparse - Daf and I will work on that.

>  Speaking of the Wiki, I did a search on Salut and the page I found gave the
> impression that Salut only works when there is NO internet connectivity.
> Since my development machines are always connected to the Internet this
> could be why I can't share between instances.  The wiki page I found is at:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Network_Configuration#Salut

This is documented at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Presence_Service#Active_connection - I'll
try to make that more findable.

Basically Gabble will run when you have internet access (a valid IPv4
address) and can connect to the configured jabber server. If it fails
to connect, or disconnects, or doesn't get an IP address, Salut runs.

A very quick test for which one is running is: "ps ax |grep telepathy"
- if it shows telepathy-gabble, you're on a jabber server. If it shows
telepathy-salut, you're on salut. If it shows neither, then something
made salut crash - please log a ticket and attach logs if you have
them enabled[0]. If it shows both gabble and salut, also log a ticket
against presence-service with presenceservice.log.

Regards
Morgan