Devel Digest, Vol 26, Issue 65

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Apr 14 14:30:50 EDT 2008

Morgan,

I am one of those people developing activities that make use of
collaboration.  I'm pleased to see that someone has been charged to make
that easier, especially through better documentation.  My Activities are
Read Etexts and View Slides.  Both make use of code adapted from the
Read activity, although only Read Etexts has sharing implemented in a
released package.  It does seem to work.  View Slides has sharing code
in git, but not released as that code does NOT work at this time.

One thing I hope you'll address is the question of setting up a sharing
test environment as simply as possible.  I have been using Xubuntu with
Sugar RPMs on one machine and Sugar-jhbuild on openSUSE 10.2 on
another.  Both use the Collabora server, and I have a G1G1 laptop
pointing to that server as well.  The thing is, I don't know if I have
Collabora's blessing to use their server for my testing, and even if I
did, it is frequently out of service.  Ideally I could set up my own
server.  I do know that just having ejabberd installed from RPMs is not
enough.  (I tried that and it didn't work).  So what is the simplest way
for me to have my own sharing environment?

Another point I hope you'll address is the code in the Read activity for
sharing.  It is full of FIXME comments, yet the Wiki recommends its use
as sample code.  I'm stuck adapting that code for my own Activities as
they are variations on the Read activity.

Thanks,

James Simmons