Clipboard Notification

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:13:00 EDT 2008

>  I am a believer in "show notifications where the user is looking,
>  not off in a corner somewhere":
>
>  When an asynchronous notification occurs, the user should NOT be
>  "taken away" from what he is doing.  Absent a "bell", the simplest
>  "alert" I can think of is to "flash" the screen once (change its
>  brightness for half a second, then go back to the way it was). That
>  tells the user: "a notification has occurred".  [It is up to the
>  user, at his convenience, to look for the actual notification.]

This is a reasonable idea.  I'm happy to investigate it.

>  When a _synchronous_ notification occurs (i.e., 'feedback' to
>  confirm the user's action), such as when an activity is launched, I
>  would like that feedback (unless it takes more than five seconds)
>  to occur right where the user performed the action (e.g., where the
>  cursor was).

Indeed so.  The launching feedback (probably the thing requiring the
most feedback of any action within the UI) hasn't yet been implemented
they way we'd like in the new design.  We definitely intend to provide
strong visual feedback, emphasizing the activity as the closest zoom
level by zooming into a large pulsing icon in the center of the
screen, on a white background, while the launch progresses.

>  [If there is a notification associated with *putting* something
>  where the Frame would show it, "pulse" (or temporarily distinguish)
>  whatever is being put.  If the user wants to *verify* that the thing
>  is sitting where it was put, *then* let him call up the Frame.]

I believe this is actually what we're doing now, right?  Every
notification icon pulses when it appears and (eventually) will slide
in or out of the Frame to strengthen the visual association with a
given edge.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Eben