Clipboard Notification

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Apr 14 10:04:50 EDT 2008

> When an activity launches it brings up an instance of the notification icon
> in the activity tray. I'm trying to make it so when someone copies something
> instead of it popping up the frame for a second it shows a pulsing
> notification icon in the top left hand corner.

Personal note:  Been running the "new look" Sugar/Joyride for a
while.  [It does what you describe when an Activity is launched.]

I've now trained myself to notice the pulsing icon in the top left
hand corner -- but I think that is an easily-overlooked location
(particularly since current notification icons have the same
background color as the "border" in which they sit).

--------

I am a believer in "show notifications where the user is looking,
not off in a corner somewhere":

When an asynchronous notification occurs, the user should NOT be
"taken away" from what he is doing.  Absent a "bell", the simplest
"alert" I can think of is to "flash" the screen once (change its
brightness for half a second, then go back to the way it was). That
tells the user: "a notification has occurred".  [It is up to the
user, at his convenience, to look for the actual notification.]

When a _synchronous_ notification occurs (i.e., 'feedback' to
confirm the user's action), such as when an activity is launched, I
would like that feedback (unless it takes more than five seconds)
to occur right where the user performed the action (e.g., where the
cursor was).

[If there is a notification associated with *putting* something
where the Frame would show it, "pulse" (or temporarily distinguish)
whatever is being put.  If the user wants to *verify* that the thing
is sitting where it was put, *then* let him call up the Frame.]

mikus