Usability testing

Carol Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sun Apr 13 15:18:18 EDT 2008

Greg, Thanks for your information.  It would be helpful to characterize age
groups when reporting teacher feedback.  My observation in Robin's classroom
was that the trackpad - select key combination was somewhat difficult for
the 5-6 year olds (probably due to their less well developed fine motor
skills).  I had to reteach this each time the children came to the XOs.
They soon learned the operations when used separately, but had difficulty
when they needed to coordinate mousepad/select button usage, as in Paint.
The left hand action was often forgotten when they were concentrating on
their right hand.  (Presumably the reverse might be true for lefties, with
the added problem that the "handedness" of the select button would add
cross-over awkwardness.)

The frame appearance-disappearance problem was also an issue, as well as the
choice of what field got the focus when an activity was opened/returned to.
They often ended up typing into the tag for naming the work in the journal.
Some kids who had especially busy fingers seemed to engender a need for
mouse recalibration much more often than others.