Cutting a slice of wikipedia - CDPedia

Alejandro J. Cura alecu at vortech.com.ar
Thu Apr 10 10:01:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hola, Alecu. ¿Como esta?

Hola Edu, muy bien, muchas gracias. ¿Como estás vos?

>  Is there a design spec for CDPedia?
Yes, but it's mostly in spanish. But I see you may have no problem with it! ;-)
http://www.taniquetil.com.ar/plog/post/1/328
http://except.com.ar/cgi-bin/pycamp/wiki/WikipediaOffline
We are working on improving the docs, and we will translate them if
people are interested.

> Is one CD worth just a convenient
>  round number, or is there some other reason for that size?

One CD means it will be easier and cheaper to duplicate and distribute.
But the 700mb value is just a value in a config file, so you'll be
able to make a slice suited to your needs.
Regarding multiple disc, we had a (long) discussion on this and agreed
that it would be better if we sticked to just one.

>  Shall we put this in the projects listing and make a Wiki page for it?

Well, sure!

thanks,
--
alecu