Build Debate: Followup on Build Naming

Richard A. Smith richard at
Tue Apr 8 13:10:19 EDT 2008

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but can someone tell me what is wrong with

Update-1 turning into:

with any future bugfixes bumping the update field?

I'm fine with Joyride (and any other branch) continuing with
branch-build# since long standing version numbers are really not applicable.

The next "offical" release would then be 1.3.0

If you like then you can assign the major number to the generation of
the hardware and when Gen1 and Gen2 start to co-exist then bump the
major number to 2 for the branch that is for Gen2.

Richard Smith  <richard at>
One Laptop Per Child