[Fwd: Status of Ethiopian support]

Sergey Udaltsov sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:46:25 EDT 2007

Daniel,

> I'm not current with XIM to be able to make comparisons.  Is there a
> link to mapping or source that I can have a look at it?
Here is the document I used (see attached).

> Amharic, some words (like tmHrt) have up to 5, so single key input is
> pretty important.
I realize it. That is why I first implemented vowels as dead keys - to
have consonants as normal keys. But I do not know any way to implement
what you asked. AFAIK dead key always comes first in the Compose
sequence. If I make consonants "dead", I would be able to put them in
front - but people would have to press 2 keys to get normal consonant
- or (temporarily?) disable XIM. Ugly, IMHO...

> this weekend, I'll stay logged into #olpc while working.
I am there all the time as svu.

Cheers,

Sergey