SVGALIB on Frame Buffer Device inside XO

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Sep 26 09:05:53 EDT 2007

I guess people don't read.

There is no (S)VGA emulation on our frame buffer console, as you might
find on most x86's.  The code to do so was a binary blob using the
Geode's legacy device emulation facilities, which was not very fast
anyway.  Since we could not maintain this blob long term, we removed it
from our firmware.
                             Regards,
                                   - Jim

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 00:59 -0700, big one wrote:
> > Forget about SVGALIB because there is no VGA on XO Laptops.
>
> According to XCPROD post on SVGALIB mailing list on December 9, 2000:
> "There is a setting in the svgalib config file which allows svgalib to work on top of the frame buffer.
> In the svgalib config file
> /etc/vga/libvga.config
> add the setting
> chipset FBDev
> put this in the section that contains the other
> chipset definition such as "chipset VGA". Ensure
> that no other chipset is selected (they should all
> be commented out with a # char as the first char
> of the line)."
> Does this mean that SVGALIB can be used on top of Frame Buffer Device inside the XO Laptops?

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child