Dialog when stopping activity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 25 12:10:20 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 17:29 , Eben Eliason wrote:

> Well, sort of.
>
> Generally speaking, it's OK to show confirmation dialogs when there
> are ongoing processes (downloads, video compression, export
> operations, etc.) which will be interrupted/terminated by stopping the
> activity.  It's possible there will be other appropriate times as
> well, regarding synchronous collaboration (games?). However, we do not
> allow such dialogs for general purpose saves, which must simply be
> automatic.
>
> What types of Journal related issues do you have in mind?

Well, that it is impossible to keep a clean unmodified copy of an
activity:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2007-September/003384.html

Or that the automatic saving will always move the activity to the top
without anything the user can do about it:

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3781

And now hearing that versioning may not be supported at all in
version 1.0 (besides of it not being available for testing even now)
this will just lead to a system that's rather awkward to use. If
indeed we cannot make the beautiful system work in time I'd rather
give the users a choice.

- Bert -