The "iGoogle bug"

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Sep 19 08:49:30 EDT 2007

Jim Gettys wrote:

> Don't confuse virtual address space used with RAM consumed: most of that
> is shared memory (glibc, pango, gtk+....).
>
> That's why memphis was written and is in our build: ps gives very
> misleading memory usage statistics, unless you really understand what it
> is reporting.  It does a bit better job accounting for memory used in a
> mere-mortal way to understand.

This gives even better results:

 http://lwn.net/Articles/230975/
 http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/042407-kernel.html

The PSS and USS are are the Right Thing: they give users and
developers a honest and accurate figure.

The downside is that it would require a very fresh kernel or 13
invasive VM patches.

--
   //  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/ One Laptop Per Child - http://www.laptop.org/