radio off guarantee?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Sep 17 23:43:46 EDT 2007

Low priority ... removing the usb8xxx kernel driver is not a
conventional use case.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:32:35PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> I don't see how removing the usb8xxx kernel driver may affect X client
> connections.  I'd say the two have to be independent.

I agree.  But it happens.  I've reproduced it.  I'll try some later
builds though.  566 is a bit old now.  Sorry.

> Where do you see this message?

By pressing Control/Alt/F2.  The X server /usr/bin/X has file descriptor
2 (stderr) anchored to /dev/tty2, per "ls -l /proc/`pgrep X`/fd" ...
therefore the second text console contains the message, repeating.

> Check for $XAUTHORITY: it should point to a file containing the xauth
> cookie.

Got it.  /proc/`pgrep X`/environ contains XAUTHORITY which points to
/home/olpc/.Xauthority last changed several days ago, which contains a
hostname of xo-05-27-F1.localdomain, but the current /bin/hostname
output is "localhost.localdomain" ... so I conjecture that removing the
wireless kernel driver results in the hostname not being the same as
what it was before.