Anybody do BGA rework?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 16:02:57 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 00:36 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> I'm wondering if one could replace the 88W8385
> on a gumstix board with an 88W8388 swiped from
> an Xbox 360 wireless device.
>
> They appear to be the same chip package. This of
> course does not ensure that enough of the
> connections are compatible, but I think there is
> reason to be optimistic.

Seems to me it would be easier to either:

1) replace the SPI flash on the XBox 360 adapter (should be a 6 or 8 pin
part) with one from an XO or flashed another SPI chip with the XO boot2
(as long as the Boot1 code in ROM on the 8388 itself doesn't verify
boot2, which it may do for XBox, who knows)

2) unsolder the wireless daughterboard from an XO and hook up a cut USB
cable to the right pins on the daughterboard.  If you want USB back you
should just be able to plug the USB cable into the XO and it'll work.
So you don't really destroy the wireless capability of the XO here.

Dan