wireless networking

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 16:10:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 19:52 +0100, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> Thanks, I am now seeing my wireless router on
> the machines and can ping other machines connected
> to it. Wired internet seems to work (as far as ifconfig
> and ping are concerned).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. How should I set my hostname and fix it to work
> with DHCP?

The hostname isn't changed by NM because that breaks Xauth and stops you
from being able to launch X apps.  I'd say don't set a custom hostname;
if you're using DHCP then you either (a) won't get the same IP address
each time, or (b) you've set up the DHCP server to provide a "static" IP
anyway.

> 2. How do I add DNS servers? I had a look at the
> obvious place, /etc/resolv.conf, but there is
> comment saying that it should not be edited (although
> the file was empty).

Add these to your DHCP server's DNS server list.

> and a third one: how do I set http proxies for the
> browser? That is the only way they allow me out of the
> lab network. I think yum should work fine through the
> proxy once I have everything set up correctly with the
> wired network.

I think yum can be set up to use HTTP proxies in it's conf file.

Dan