wireless networking

Victor Lazzarini victor.lazzarini at nuim.ie
Thu Sep 13 14:52:22 EDT 2007

Thanks, I am now seeing my wireless router on
the machines and can ping other machines connected
to it. Wired internet seems to work (as far as ifconfig
and ping are concerned).

Two questions:

1. How should I set my hostname and fix it to work
with DHCP?
2. How do I add DNS servers? I had a look at the
obvious place, /etc/resolv.conf, but there is
comment saying that it should not be edited (although
the file was empty).

and a third one: how do I set http proxies for the
browser? That is the only way they allow me out of the
lab network. I think yum should work fine through the
proxy once I have everything set up correctly with the
wired network.

Thanks a lot for the assistance.

Victor