Progress of alternative open mesh networks approach B.A.T.M.A.N.

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Wed Sep 12 05:30:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

finally the big release day has come. As of this moment B.A.T.M.A.N. 0.2
final
is released and can be downloaded from
http://open-mesh.net/batman/downloads/
The most important added features since the release of 0.1 include:

- many cpu and memory usage optimizations
- ability to give access to the various debug levels without restarting
the daemon
- Big Endian / Little Endian support added
- 64 Bit compability added
- a lot of tweaks to the algorithm in order to ensure a smoother experience
- download store which automatically generates ready to install packets
for various platforms
- support for sending neighbor-connectivity data to a central
visualization server

Regardless of the mentioned release, the developement process didn't stop
there. So, in addition to version 0.2 final, we are very proud to announce
the release of B.A.T.M.A.N. 0.3 alpha. Major changes and improvements are:

- debug level 5 added which shows memory or cpu usage if the compile
option was set
- harden batman against any clock changes whatsoever
- 3 different routing tables are used: table 65 for announced networks,
table 66 for batman host routes and table 67 for the default route
- the batman default route is not shared with other wireless nodes any
longer
- a batman gateway acts as a tiny DHCP server and hands out IPs to
gateway clients
- the gateway tunnel is now a fully enabled tunnel which transports the
data to the gateway and back as well

Our ambition brought us even beyond this point, all the way down to
layer 2.
B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced was created. This new approach to wireless networking
does no longer operate on the IP basis. Instead it emulates a virtual
network
switch of all nodes participating. Therefore all nodes appear to be link
local, thus all higher operating protocols won't be affected by any changes
within the network. You can theoretically run almost any protocol above
B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced, prominent examples are: IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, IPX.
Due to
this highy developmental technique of layer 2 based routing there are no
experiences we can build upon and hence would be very grateful for
intensive
testing and information exchange, as we do not possess the capabilty for a
full-blown testing environment ourselves and always apreciate the input
given
by our very active community and trust the very good experiences we had.

Since the nodes participating in the B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced switch are
completely transparent for all protocols above layer 2, we needed to build
our own diagnostic tools which are also released today. These tools
contain a
layer 2 version of ping, traceroute and tcpdump. Further information can be
found in the enclosed README file.

As layer 2 routing is somewhat of a blackspot on the landscape of mesh
networking we plan a workshop i.e. demonstration evening about how and why
B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced works. In order to make it a useful event for all
parties involved we would like to decide on the topics covered not for, but
with you. So, if you have ideas, critique or general advice please share
your
thoughts with us.

https://www.open-mesh.net/batman