Pippy and Calculate - Evolution Solution

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sat Sep 8 16:36:44 EDT 2007

Wow, fast answer!
> On Sep 8, 2007, at 1:20 PM, NoiseEHC wrote:
>> I tried to run my little tests via this mailing list and there were some
>> kind people who took the time to help me but it turned out that the
>> Geode is below my worst expectations and so requires a lot more tests
>> than my patience.
>
> Send me your SSH2 pubkey and I'll get you an account. I'm not sure how
> you went about previously requesting an account; I handled almost all
> l.o accounts until a few days ago, and I never saw an e-mail from you.

I have sent an email to developer at laptop.org (as it is written in the
wiki) and after that exchanged several emails with Jim Gettys. The
conclusion was that he said that when I have something running then we
can come back to my request. The problem is that I need to run those
tests to start coding in C (I have a proof of concept in C#) so it is a
catch-22...

SSH2 key:
I am not sure whether we are talking about the same thing. I need an
account for an XO machine which is connected to the internet so I can
access it from here (and I have a feeling that you are talking about a
project hosting account but I can be wrong). So if I am right and you
have not already set up an XO machine then you have to do the following:
1. Take a developer XO (must be B3 or B4 - LX700 and must have GCC).
2. Plug in an USB->Ethernet adapter and configure it in Linux.
3. Take apart the XO and remove the wireless antennas.
4. Install telnet and FTP.
5. Plug it into your router and either put it outside of your firewall
(so it will not be able to access your machines inside of your firewall)
or set up the router to forward telnet and FTP but prohibit any outbound
packets.
6. Email me the passwords for telnet & FTP.
(2 and 3 are needed if I am an evil hacker since I am not sure if
wireless can be firewalled adequately.)

If it turns out that we are talking about the same thing (and you have
already set up such a machine) then I will need some time since I am a
Windows programmer and have no idea how to connect from Windows to Linux
via SSH... (If somebody reads this then I would appreciate some links to
a howto.)
>> For the record, a Geode LX-433MHz has the MMX performance of a Pentium
>> MMX-133MHz if my tests are right what I simply still cannot believe...
>
> The Geode is a low-power, embedded CPU. It is neither the gaming
> platform nor the 3D workstation you're looking for. There's nothing
> surprising about that.
There is. If my tests are correct then it is the first time in history
when somebody created a processor which runs MMX slower than integer
instructions. See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Geode
I have downloaded the MediaGX guide (the predecessor of the Geode) and
in that guide at least both the latency and throughput were defined.
According to the tests the Geode LX has half the performance than the
MediaGX clock by clock. I have found that surprising (and forced me to
redo all my assembly).

>> viewpoint it is nonexistent developer support. Never mind, it was just
>> my frustration.
>
> Sorry you had a bad experience. I wish you hadn't given up after
> initially not receiving an account. That bit, at least, we can fix.

I hope so. :)