Pippy and Calculate - Evolution Solution

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Sat Sep 8 13:20:29 EDT 2007

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 10:05 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>
>> You can almost tell that he is pretty much the only guy who is
>> interested in supporting outside developers.
>>

> That isn't fair. I speak on behalf of the entire OLPC team when I say
> that we're extremely interested in supporting outside developers.
> There's no question about it, and there never was.
>
> What's also true is that -- so far -- we've been in the unenviable
> position of having to grow a platform (both Sugar and the distro)
> with heavy low-level development taking place _in parallel_ with high-
> level activity development. This is extremely difficult to do in any
> set of circumstances, and doubly so with our resource constraints and
> timelines. As a result, we haven't been as good as we could be about
> leveraging the community and outside developers. We're fully aware of
> this, we know it can be really frustrating for contributors, and
> we're determined to get better. I expect things will improve
> significantly in this domain in a couple of months as underlying
> platform development begins to stabilize and our focus turns
> increasingly towards activities and other consumers of our platform
> and APIs.
>
> Until then, I can only thank everyone who's been bearing with us even
> if it feels like there's a line in the sand between 1CC and
> "outsiders" at times. Communities are hard work, and we're entirely
> committed to growing a great one around OLPC. Really. Please be
> patient with us a little longer, and as Wikipedians like to say,
> assume good faith.
>
> Cheers,

Hmmm, 3 months ago I asked either for a physical machine or a telnet
account for a locked down physical machine to test the Geode processor
(LX). I have expected that I will not get a physical machine since there
are a limited number of these kind of machines and my work is very low
priority (and I do not have C code right now) but it was a little
surprise that so far nothing happened about the account. Since my code
depends on the hardware and the Geode manual is close to useless it
effectively stemmed my work.

I tried to run my little tests via this mailing list and there were some
kind people who took the time to help me but it turned out that the
Geode is below my worst expectations and so requires a lot more tests
than my patience. (Programming via this mailing list is just as
productive as scheduling your punch cards in the old mainframe days...)
For the record, a Geode LX-433MHz has the MMX performance of a Pentium
MMX-133MHz if my tests are right what I simply still cannot believe...

So I am aware that you have a lot of work to do right now and I am aware
that 3d rendering is not at the top of your priority list but from my
viewpoint it is nonexistent developer support. Never mind, it was just
my frustration.