log-collect / log-send

Pascal Scheffers pascal at scheffers.net
Wed Oct 31 03:19:23 EDT 2007

Is there any chance that either or both of our console scripts make
it to MP? Or has that time passed? I got the impression last sunday
that that is what we were trying to shoot for...

On 31-okt-2007, at 1:28, Eduardo Silva wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>> I have been working on something similar. It is a console script
>> that gather
>> networks related logs, and will be available in the next joyride.
>
> Would be better focus to develop just a main class to collect this
> information and different front-ends as a console script and the UI
> interface under the log activity. In this way we can avoid to
> duplicate code.

I don't know if having two different collectors is such a bad thing,
at this point. We don't have time to test all that extensively...
This means that either mine or Giannis code will fail, just when you
need it most. Supporting people with problems is, I think, going to
be a big enough job anyway. Two separate log-collect/senders make it
that much more likely that one will succeed.

But merge at least efforts, yes.

> Giannis, where is your source code?, can be cool if you and Pascal can
> merge a final python class.

yes, let me steal some of yours :) Mine is in git/projects/log-
activity/...

Eduardo, one more thing: you want to separate back-end and front end,
which I totally agree on. However, I see a HUGE advantage to keeping
it all in one file, though. This makes it trivial to give someone the
latest version of the collector in a single file on a usb stick/email/
what ever and tell them to run it. This is, again, on the assumption
that things will break, just when you need them most.

This means the 'UI' for console use should be in the collector-class-
file, and anything fancy GUI can use the same file as a package.

I will also include three basic send-the-log methods in the same
file, if I can.

- Pascal.