Music on the XO

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Tue Oct 30 14:04:22 EDT 2007

Seth Woodworth wrote:
> Slightly off of the conversational thread here but: Information on the
> specific output spectrum capabilities might improve transcoding of
> audio files into smaller file sizes.  If there is no, or poor quality,
> auditory response below or above a given threshold, it might be worth
> snipping off various frequencies, or otherwise optimizing how
> materials are encoded to take advantage of this.

The speakers start rolling off at about 600 Hz and are virtually
worthless below 400 Hz.

The hardware has a one-pole highpass filter at about 400 Hz (I forget
the exact frequency but it doesn't matter much) in order to reduce the
amount of useless LF energy that is presented to the speakers.  The
rolloff is only in the speaker path; the headphone path has flat
response across the audio band.

In my experience, equalization doesn't improve the sound from the
speakers very much.  They sound tinny and weak no matter what you do.
Taming the big peak in the 4 Khz range is of some value, but most
program material has little information in that region, so the perceived
improvement is small.  Boosting the bass makes things worse - the
speakers don't have enough air-moving capacity (cone diameter times
linear motion range) to render low frequencies, and sending them more
signal just slams the mechanical structure against its physical limits,
causing distortion and possible damage.

Bottom line - don't sell your Klipschorns.