Music on the XO

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Mon Oct 29 16:14:08 EDT 2007

Slightly off of the conversational thread here but: Information on the
specific output spectrum capabilities might improve transcoding of audio
files into smaller file sizes.  If there is no, or poor quality, auditory
response below or above a given threshold, it might be worth snipping off
various frequencies, or otherwise optimizing how materials are encoded to
take advantage of this.

Is Jamendo, or anyone else, studying this?

And Re: above conversation.  Yes, I would love to see ethnologists get
involved.  The at the moment I don't believe is a lack of effort on anyone's
part, but a lack of available material.  Go to most university's music
libraries and you will still find plenty of content in vinyl format as
opposed to cd-audio or digital formats.  Getting recordings made or existing
recordings released into the public domain is an important project, and one
of the main topics of a "What should Wikipedia do with $100 Million dollars"
thread about a year back.

I believe that just about everyone is on the same page here as far as what
they would *like* to see on the OLPC.  In the meantime I think that the
current selections are far better than nothing..

Seth