X won't come up on C2

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Oct 24 11:20:38 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07 10:56, John Watlington wrote:

>> I've never seen a C2 machine yet.  What are the relevant
>> hardware changes?
>
> None.  Testers in Cambridge should be seeing the same problems!
> The only difference should be that these machines didn't go through
> the full "write manufacturing data" process.

AH!  That's it!

Perhaps /etc/init.d/olpc-configure is screwing up
/etc/X11/xorg.conf because it cannot make sense of the
manufactoring data.

Moreover, we made some substantial changes to the keyboard
descriptions, lately and I don't think anyone updated
olpc-configure.

I asked cjb on IRC to read what's in /ofw/mfg-data/ and
report it back, so I can hack together some quick patch
for olpc-configure.

It seems a fix is needed in a hurry, so I'll try to make
it blindly, without an actual C2.  But I could use a
procedure to save your mfg-data to a file and restore it
on a C1 laptop here in 1CC.  I'll ask Mitch if that is
possible somehow.

The definitive fix for olpc-configure would be setting
the X keyboard from within the xinitrc script, without
editing the config files at all.  But that's planned
for FDS, not Trial3.

> If this is due to new security "features", I once again plead for
> those features to be removed from the builds...

They should be disabled by default... I asked cjb
and he confirmed it.

> We are about to build 10K laptops that won't boot X!

Heh, so why is it necessarily a bad thing?  Our children will
learn in first grade how to fix their X server on Linux!
That's what I would call a steep learning curve :-)

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/