Massive mesh view?

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Sat Oct 20 17:21:46 EDT 2007

Representation of massive numbers of XOs in the network is definitely an
interesting problem. It may be a little early to jump into providing
solutions, but I dealt with the problem recently while working on my
space activity, and space itself can be a scarce resource on screen,
especially if you won't the layout of the icons to make some sense.

Given a standard amount of space (the screen size), one approach is
resize the icons in order to accommodate more icons on screen. But do we
just resize all icons equally? I'd say no, because you may want to keep
close friends at standard icon size and have everybody else shrink
according to the level of interaction you may have with them. So, one
size does not fit all.

I would even go as far as to propose a Google Earth approach, where you
zoom-out above ground and back in to focus on the people you're looking
for. Also, providing a "temperature map" of human clusters may be
another approach. I understand that the processing power required in
both cases may also be "massive" and therefore prohibitive, but I just
meant to layout some ideas.

Pol