Text to Speech / DBus / MT / IBM | Meadan | Google

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:40:34 EDT 2007

On 10/18/07, Andrew Clunis <andrew at orospakr.ca> wrote:

> Meadan looks pretty interesting, but their website is pretty light on
> information.  Will their code be Free Software?  What exactly will it
> do?

I'm not sure the best way to answer it, so I created a google group and
lodged the question there, and anyone is welcome to join, and I can send an
email out when I have some answers. The short answer is they want to empower
multilingual conversations, they are a non-profit, and I don't really know
about the codebase.
http://groups.google.com/group/meadan?hl=en

(re: mt on xo)
> That would rely on a singleton service provider, which might not be a
> good approach in the long run.  It would be better if the software in
> question could be run directly on the XO laptop.

Right -- I think there may be a way to do this if it is viewed as an
ecosystem. I think there could be some patents and I'd rather try and patent
and then develop and situate within a non-profit to protect this for the
kids and then work with big fish if they want to play (this is what meadan
is doing) -- I'm just concerned that a big fish could be reading the list --
I have no concern about the people themselves -- just the corporate
framework, driven by profit -- I actually do love the idea of partnering
with corps -- just concerned that if you don't have leverage they might end
up forgetting about the kids and not paying attention while they monetize
it, etc. -- having said this I could be swayed. I am working my way through
wikinomics and trying to grasp the implications and how it could shift my
paradigms. In the end I just care about the kids. So that developers don't
get entirely annoyed with me perhaps I could trust your judgment and if you
think it's cool to converse with reply all - cool -- but if etiquette serves
-- perhaps you (or others who might be interested) could join google group
and take the conversation off-list -- and if there was some justification
then it could become a laptop mailing list. I'm pretty sure SJ is interested
in the same underlying machine translation engine for a content management
ecosystem and is talking with meadan -- but that's not out on the mesh
necessarily -- i'm just particularly interested in the chat too -- because i
want kids speaking arabic to be able to chat with kids who speak english