Fwd: Children's documentation

Todd Kelsey tekelsey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:59:06 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Gearhart <william.gearhart at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 15, 2007 9:29 AM
Subject: Children's documentation
To: annegentle at gmail.com, Todd Kelsey <tekelsey at gmail.com>

Anne,

You mentioned looking for good children's doc w/Webkinz, etc.

The prior gold standard was Lego building blocks. Cross culture and cross
reading-ability (or "no" reading ability). I use their examples in my
minimalism workshop.

http://www.lego.com/en-US/default.aspx

The key points:

   - Use of pictures (line drawings also, to exclude unimportant details)
   - No reliance on prior knowledge of how things fit together or of
   systems thinking
   - Task-based picture instruction to accomplish tasks while teaching
   systems thinking

I'll dig up some others, but not having kids, I don't have a ready-made
research lab ;-)

--Bill

--
Todd Kelsey