New lurker! :-)

Ed Montgomery edm at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:47:46 EDT 2007

Hi. Recently saw an OLPC computer at Ontario Linux
Fest, courtesy of a great presentation by Michael C.
Fletcher. He suggested a brief self-intro as protocol
for joining the list, etc.

Here goes:
Canadian high school teacher, record can be found
here:
http://www.oct.ca/PublicRegister/memberDetails.aspx?memberID=164928

Have contributed to a few open source projects, such
as Tuxpaint (e.g. some graphics, Unicode file for Thai
input, Ojibway language file, etc.)

Have translated from French to English two 15,20 page
articles about how to write a GUI in Python for
Blender
Link on Blender site:
http://www.blender.org/tutorials-help/tutorials/specials/
(e.g. First steps with Python)
First article:
http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dotclear/index.php/2006/03/03/55-blender-first-steps-with-python
Second article:
http://feeblemind.tuxfamily.org/dotclear/index.php/2006/03/20/58-blender-creating-a-gui-for-your-python-scripts

I even understood the articles! :-) (I wrote a couple
of simple example scripts to make pyramids and
tetrahedrons, if you are interested...:-))

I'm interested in education problems (duh! :-)), and
perhaps delving into some of the python code...but I'm
going to just lurk for awhile and if I see something
that I think I can contribute to, I'll jump in.  Or
feel free to suggest something.

As for time commitment, at the moment I am moving to
Japan, but I will try to spend some time getting up to
speed.  I use a laptop with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS at the
moment, and python 2.4/2.5 installed.