Bugs and more

Giannis Galanis galanis at laptop.org
Fri Oct 12 12:05:58 EDT 2007

Kim,

=> Could you tell if you needed to reboot the AP and wait for it to settle
> and reboot the XO -- each just once, but you would have to do the order
> properly. It is my expectation that after setting up the AP, it would need
> to be rebooted. And it makes sense to me that the XO would need its file
> removed and then to be rebooted in order to 'see' it as a new AP. This
> should be in the release note. Here is what I *think* the release note
> should say (please make appropriate changes, etc and add it to the
> Kqrelease):
>
> If there is a change to the configuration of your infrastructure AP, then
> after making changes and rebooting the AP; please delete the network config
> file and reboot the XO. (you might want to put this in steps and say how to
> find the config file, etc)

You are correct. First you delete the file, then you reboot. I updated it in
the Kqrelease.

> => I believe Dan's comments on this is that it is probably just a UI bug
> and not affecting the functioning. If you agree with that, then you should
> put a note in the bug about your thoughts and re-assign it to 'Sugar' so the
> right person will look at it. I would let it remain as 'high' priority until
> we know more. Also, can you put a note in the release notes on this one.

I agree, I also noted that in the bug. I rephrased it more clearly and
forwarded it to sugar

> => This looks great, Yani. I have a couple of questions and I added a few
> notes. On the IP Addresses section, I don't believe that you get a
> 169.x.x.x address when connected to an Infrastructure AP. Normally you
> would get a real IP address given to you by the DHCP on the internet side of
> the infrastructure AP. Perhaps your AP (the airport extreme) was not
> connected to the internet when you did your testing.

The ifconfig has 2 parts: msh0 and eth0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:C4:03:31:FB
          inet addr:18.85.18.23  Bcast:18.85.19.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
<-------this add is blank on mesh/link-local
          inet6 addr: 2001:4830:2446:ff00:217:c4ff:fe03:31fb/64
Scope:Global            now it has a 18.85.x.x
          inet6 addr: fe80::217:c4ff:fe03:31fb/64 Scope:Link

msh0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:C4:03:31:FB
          inet addr:169.254.7.84  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
<------this add is always belongs to the mesh
          inet6 addr: 2001:4830:2446:ff10:217:c4ff:fe03:31fb/64
Scope:Global           it is either 169.254:local-link/MPP
          inet6 addr:
fe80::217:c4ff:fe03:31fb/64
or 172.x.x for school server

Also, even if the AP is not connected to the internet the above would not be
unchanged. If you are referring to the Airport AP 18.85.x.x would be
substituted by the IP given by 10.0.x.y, with or without internet
connectivity.

 Also, I'm pretty sure you will not get a 192.x.x.x from the school server
> mesh. Usually you see 192.x.x.x from people setting up a home wireless
> network. So I made some changes to that section of your document.

At the point the OLPC schoolserver operates at 172.x.x.x, but this is just a
convention. The 172.x,192.168.x,10.x are equivalent private addresses and
can be used with probability to another mesh somewhere else. I just
conformed this with Michalis.

You can also have 10.0. or 192.168.or even 172.x.x as an "eth0" address when
you connect to an AP, if it is configured so

So, I am most confident these changes must be recovered.

I'm not sure your DNS check info (resolve.conf) is correct for the case of
> 169.x.x.x. You say it is because the XO is connecting through an MPP. But
> I think you might get the same resolv.conf if the XO is 'hopping' from one
> XO to another to get to the School Server or to an access point. 'Hopping'
> is not the same as MPP. Since you don't mention anything about the scenario
> when one XO connects through another XO to get to an AP or to the school
> server... then I'm thinking there is one more case for you to explore. Or,
> maybe the case that you couldn't explain, where there is no dns resolution,
> but you do have a good IP and can ping by IP. Maybe that case if XO hopping.
> We can talk about it some more later today or next week.

the resolv.conf is not related to hopping. I havent ever seen a 169 addrress
as a dns, since we never have used an MPP, but I am pretty confident thats
how it would work when connecting to one.  When an XO acts as an MPP it
creates a small DHCP server and stores locally the DHCP database. When you
send a DHCP request you will receive a reply from the MPP with a
169.254address for you to use. The address of the MPP(which because of
the mesh is
169.254 as well) will be your new DNS and DHCP server.

Your info on the gabble service concerns me, specifically the part about it
> not being accurate. It would be good to spend some more time on this to
> document a broken case and write up the bug; add appropriate logs, etc. It
> is not going to be good if there is a local jabber server (on the school
> server, for instance) and the laptops can't decide if they should be talking
> local-link or through the jabber server. I'm sure that will mess up tubes
> sharing.

I agree, I just had another issue in Alex's XOs where two XOs where
connected to MediaLab802.11 but were still running salut. It was displaying
18.85 and 169.254 XOs, which seemed they were all from this room..this bug
is very interesting! I had seen it in the past, but i couldnt describe it.
Even when on AP mode, the avahi, which runs in the background, still creates
the presence list from the mesh that its connected to (ch 6 in this case).It
can be accesed by "avahi-browse -t _presence._tcp"). But , now it included
18.85 and 169 xos(bug 4193)

=> Once you've explored a few of these things from this email, I would like
> you to send it out to the devel mailing list for review. You might get a few
> good suggestions on other things for the status program and then figure out
> how to check it in so we can all use it for debug.

yani