keyboard symbols

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 05:00:23 EDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > On Oct 9, 2007, at 8:15 , Albert Cahalan wrote:

> >> I notice that some keyboards lack the multiplication
> >> and division symbols. Providing them for all kids
> >> would be good, even if they need to move elsewhere.
> >
> > Why those? They are not used universally.
>
> And even in places where they are used, like the US, they fall into
> disuse when you get to algebra.  The multiplication symbol is too much
> like the variable x, and the division symbol is replaced by
> numerator-over-denominator notation.

1. The target audience is mostly below algebra.
2. The cross product is used in college.

> >  At least German kids are
> > taught to use "ยท" (centered dot) for multiplication and ":" (colon)
> > for division. And for real math formulae you don't need those either.

Well, you have the colon, and I did suggest the centered dot.

I forgot the infinity symbol.

In case anybody wonders, the list comes from the symbols
that tend to show up in character set standards. I picked
though many of those while making a font.

infinity symbol
multiplication symbol
division symbol
bullet