glibc bugs affecting Ethiopian

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 14:56:49 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 14:46 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> John,
>
> to enable the am_ET locale, we need a few glibc bugfixes
> from F8.  Ulrich Drepper, the glibc maintainer, says a
> backport would be quite invasive and highly recommends
> updating instead.  Additionally, until now glibc wasn't
> forked in OLPC-2.
>
> I installed 2.6.90-17 and everything appears to work, but
> of course it would need more testing.
>
> So I propose we update glibc post Trial-3.  If that's not
> acceptable, the alternatives I see are:
>
> 1) attempt a backport and fork glibc.  That would give us a
>    good excuse to enable the Geode optimizations too.
>
> 2) Leave Ethiopian as an unsopported language in FD1.0 and
>    tell people to follow the procedure on the wiki to add it
>    manuall

This is a business decision.  How likely is a Ethiopian sale in the
short term?  Does it pay right now to get distracted by Ethiopian
support (other than planning for the future) or concentrate more on the
places we are shipping?  Talk to Uli and find out if he knows of any
interactions with other libraries.  If the risk is low and the benefits
high then go for it.  However for FRS 1.0 I suspect it would be best to
not make this change.