glibc bugs affecting Ethiopian

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Oct 8 14:46:50 EDT 2007

John,

to enable the am_ET locale, we need a few glibc bugfixes
from F8.  Ulrich Drepper, the glibc maintainer, says a
backport would be quite invasive and highly recommends
updating instead.  Additionally, until now glibc wasn't
forked in OLPC-2.

I installed 2.6.90-17 and everything appears to work, but
of course it would need more testing.

So I propose we update glibc post Trial-3.  If that's not
acceptable, the alternatives I see are:

1) attempt a backport and fork glibc.  That would give us a
   good excuse to enable the Geode optimizations too.

2) Leave Ethiopian as an unsopported language in FD1.0 and
   tell people to follow the procedure on the wiki to add it
   manually.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/