LANG=am_ET causes funny collating order

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Oct 5 23:02:00 EDT 2007

Hello Ulrich and Jakub,

sorry for bothering you for what seems to be an OLPC specific bug,
but I guess you can help me understand the issue here.

If I set LANG=am_ET, strcoll() acts as if strlen() was a sorting
criteria!

For example, ls outputs file names sorted by their lengths first,
and alphabetically when the length is the same.

As silly as it may seem, this only happens on the OLPC, not on a
regular PC with F7.  Nevertheless, our builds use the unaltered F7
version of glibc.  I also tried the latest F8 glibc package,
observing no change in behavior.  Running /bin/ls under strace and
ltrace does not reveal anything suspicious.

Any idea?

--
 \___/
 |___|  Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/