Patent infringement lawsuit against OLPC in Nigeria

nick knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:08:21 EST 2007

Just saw a link to this today, about a patent infringement lawsuit
filed in Nigeria against OLPC:

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=796745

 From the article:

'LANCOR's lawsuit alleges that OLPC purchased two KONYIN Multilingual
Keyboard models (KONYIN Nigeria Multilingual Keyboard and KONYIN
United States Multilingual Keyboard) with the express purpose of
illegally reverse engineering the source codes for use in OLPC's XO
Laptops. "The willful infringement of our client's intellectual
property is so blatant and self-evident in the OLPC's XO Laptops,"
said Solicitor Ade Adedeji, "we will have no problem establishing the
facts of our client's case against OLPC in any court of law."'

I don't know Nigerian reverse-engineering laws so I don't know if the
case has any merit, but is there any word about how this will affect
the XO in Nigeria?

nick