Status of the OLPC

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:16:16 EST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 2:18 AM, Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu <chad-jm at hower.org> wrote:

> If one wants to develop - what are the options for getting hardware
> outside
> of North America?

As James mentioned, a sizable number of our developers are outside the US.
The developer program is pretty nation-neutral. :)

Will the emulation "Builds" be improved?

Yes! There has been a 'Real Soon Now' mini-project to streamline and improve
the emulation builds. Sugar-jhbuild has been (and can be, though to a lesser
degree) complicated to get running. Doubly so on Windows or Mac. To tap into
the great Open Source developers and the millions of testers and volunteers
on those systems, emulation via VMWare/Parrallels/VirtualPC/Bochs/QEMU is
the best way we can reach them. I won't say I know when these changes will
land, but I assume after Update.1/2 land, and some of the focus can lift
from supporting core features, to longer-term projects, we should hear some
noise on this again.

The more bugs you report, the better these builds will get in the meantime.
Hope to keep hearing from you! :)

> I'd like to see an option where we have ready to go Bochs/VMWare/VPC
> whatever images for people to see.

This is the idea, just no one has had the time to dedicate to 1. report what
isn't working in emulation and 2. finding ways to streamline the process.

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab